Where to Buy : http://hotlean.com
Knee High Socks
From LoveToKnow Womens-Fashion
When it comes to women's fashion accessories, knee high socks are some of the most challenging to incorporate into an outfit. Most accessories, like scarves and hats and jewelry, only accent a look. You can easily remove them if they are inappropriate or miss the mark. Knee high socks, however, make a bold statement. Socks add more texture and interest than tights and they create a more polished look than bare legs.
Normally associated with Catholic school girls, this trendy leg wear became popular for adults when Miuccia Prada showed them as part of her 2007 fall collection. They have been spotted on the stylish characters of the hit television program Gossip Girls as well as on the set of the Sex and The City movie. With a little bit of know-how, these stockings can take an outfit from ordinary to chic.
Do's and Don'ts for Wearing Knee High Socks
* Wear them with short skirts if you are thin and fit. This look flatters long, lean body types and can draw attention to great legs.
* Pair them with a dress and Mary Janes for a more adult look.
* Wear socks under boots to create an interesting, layered look. Add a dress and long cardigan for a hip, sophisticated affect.
* Make a statement with an over-the-knee sock.
* Wear them with long skirts if you want to stay warm but avoid the bulk of tights. It is nice not to have an added layer around your waist.
* Make knee highs a wardrobe staple to transition your look in the spring and fall.
* Wear sheer, lighter colored styles for spring.
* Opt for dark, solid neutrals if your legs are less than perfect. Remember patterned stockings make legs look heavier.
* Choose a chevron design, metallic sheen or argyle pattern if you want to appear youthful and fun.
* Soak your stockings in detergent. The leather on your shoes can stain light colors and sheer styles around the ankles, heels and toes.
* Avoid sausage legs. Take care that the band at the top of your knee highs doesn't cut into your skin.
* Tug at socks and pull them up in public. No one looks comfortable in clothes they are constantly adjusting.
* Wear white stockings with winter clothes. If it doesn't work for shoes, it doesn't work for socks.
* Create a costume by pairing them with a pleated skirt, oxford shoes and a white blouse. Leave the uniform to the high school girls.
* Wear short skirts and knee socks to the office. Save this look for the weekend.
* Wear these socks with flat shoes. The result is too masculine.
* Wear knee socks, or any socks for that matter, with strappy sandals.
* Pile on too many trends at once. It's easy to go from style maven to fashion victim if you wear too many faddish items together.
* Wear knee highs with shorts. Save that look for the men in Bermuda.
* Sport tube socks off the field or outside of the gym.
* Wear knee socks with kilts unless you are playing a bagpipe.
Where to Buy : http://hotlean.com
You like the look of knee high socks. Now where can you find them?
* Most major department stores carry Spanx Topless Trouser Socks. Spanx, the company that perfected the body shaper, has also figured out how to keep knee socks from falling down without binding your legs.
* Stockingirl.com has a great collection of patterns to choose from including paisleys, florals and animal prints. Plus, the prices on the site are reasonable.
* Sockdreams.com has a huge variety. Just leave the novelty styles for Halloween.
* For styles made from luxurious fabrics like satin, merino wool and velvet, look for Wolford socks in Wolford boutiques or high-end retailers.